ИНОСТРАННАЯ ИСЛАНДИЯ - FOREIGN ICELAND
Вы хотите отреагировать на этот пост ? Создайте аккаунт всего в несколько кликов или войдите на форум.
Последние темы
» 67-я параллель
The Ground is Shaking EmptyПн Апр 29, 2024 7:07 am автор Джетт

» Тиманский овраг
The Ground is Shaking EmptyСр Дек 27, 2023 10:47 pm автор Джетт

» Отель "Ореанда"
The Ground is Shaking EmptyВс Сен 10, 2023 8:05 am автор Джетт

» Карельские рассветы
The Ground is Shaking EmptyВс Апр 23, 2023 7:36 am автор Джетт

» Альма-Матер
The Ground is Shaking EmptyВс Дек 25, 2022 6:42 am автор Джетт

» Две вдовы Маленького Принца
The Ground is Shaking EmptyВс Авг 28, 2022 6:47 am автор Джетт

» Самый сочный шашлык - рецепты, маринады и другие хитрости
The Ground is Shaking EmptyВс Июн 12, 2022 11:34 pm автор drogbank

» Сентябрь в Алустосе
The Ground is Shaking EmptyЧт Май 26, 2022 5:16 am автор Джетт

» Кронштадтский тупик
The Ground is Shaking EmptyВс Дек 05, 2021 7:22 am автор Джетт

» Говяжий язык
The Ground is Shaking EmptyСр Ноя 17, 2021 11:06 am автор drogbank

Праздники Исландии
Праздники Исландии
Вход

Забыли пароль?

The Ground is Shaking

Перейти вниз

The Ground is Shaking Empty The Ground is Shaking

Сообщение автор Admin Вс Июн 01, 2008 11:43 am

30/05/2008 | 11:27

A 6.3 Ricther earthquake rocked our island yesterday. Fortunately there were no casualties, but heavy damages. Earthquakes are like a landmark in the memory of Icelanders. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when the big earthquakes hit.

As for the last big shock in 2000 I can tell you I was playing a board game with a bunch of friends. It was one of those board games that require a big set up, and the table shook so much that the game fell over. It pissed me off because I was winning at the time. When we saw the damages in Hveragerdi and Selfoss I realized that being pissed off because of a game was the wrong thing to do. However, we rarely play that game, because it takes a long time to set up and a very long time to play and I haven’t ever gotten close to winning.

Yesterday I was at the salon with my mum. Now it would be funny to imagine a salon full of women who panic and run out on the streets in hysteria with hair half-dyed and one colored eyebrow, but I have to disappoint you. We were cool as cucumbers about the whole thing. When we felt the ground shake we calmly looked at one another.

“Is this an earthquake?” my hairdresser asked.

“Seems to be,” replied my mum once the ground had been shaking for around ten seconds.

“Let’s turn on the radio,” a third woman added. We did and than things went back to normal. I finished having my hair cut under distressing news of the earthquake. Once my hair was finished, it was clear that the earthquake had not caused any fatal accidents. I was relieved and could finally enjoy my new hair. But I must admit I’ve had more fun at salon on other occassions.

But it is easy to joke around about it now when we know there were no serious accidents. Of course it’s upsetting to loose one’s belongings, but I do not mourn what money can buy back. However I´m always so surprised that during those two big quakes, one in 2000 and one yesterday, that no one got hurt. The reason? Both the quakes hit on nice, sunny days. I cannot image what would happen if an earthquake this big would hit in the middle of the night, when everyone is inside, sleeping under a big shelve of books, heavy, framed pictures or with their newborn in a cradle by top-heavy wardrobe.

Or what could happen if a series of quakes would start during a snowstorm? The safest place to be during quakes is of course outside, far away from things that could fall on you or in houses that could collapse, but what to do if you cannot be outside? Yesterday the people of Hveragerdi and Selfoss just walked right outside in their slippers and T-shirts. The elderly were moved out and set in the sun with blankets over their knees. The hospital and the clinic were moved under a tent.

Some would say there is a big group of guardian angels watching over the Southlands. I agree, but since Iceland has no tradition of angels in its folklore, I´d rather say the people of the south are protected by a group of guardian trolls and elves.

My friend from England complained to me the yeterday about how hard it is to get the information “that every one knows” in English. That is, the information on how to be earthquake smart in Iceland. So here are some ground rules for ground shaking moments:

1. Get out
2. Get out and stay out
3. If you are not able to get out, stay away from heavy furniture that could roll over, like TV sets, pianos, wardrobes, shelves and such. Also be aware of things that could fall from above, like pictures from walls and books from shelves.
4. Don’t use elevators.
5. Stop the car and get out if you are driving.
6. If you are close to a mountain or steamy hill look out for landslides. Stay away from mountain hills.
7. When you enter your home after an earthquake, look out for cracks in walls. If you find one, the house might be damaged and unsafe. It’s probably best to find another place to spend the night.
8. An Earthquake is never alone. Other quakes will follow both before and after, but usually there is only one big one.

IcelandReview

Школа русского языка в Исландии www.modurmal.com
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Женщина Количество сообщений : 2957
Дата рождения : 1983-07-18
Географическое положение : Исландия
Настроение : Всегда отличное!

http://www.icecorpo.is

Вернуться к началу Перейти вниз